Sunday, September 23, 2012

Not Dead...

Ok, skeptics. Yes, I have had a bit of a hiatus in posting to "Blogging the Corpus": had to take care of some boring but important business at work. But...I'm back.  And in this entry, I need to give props to Miller Oberman, a graduate student at UCONN, but more importantly, a gifted poet. We have been toying around with the idea of working together in some way on the gigantic Corpus translation project, and spent a wonderful scotch-fueled evening on Riddle 1 of the Exeter Book. I know that whatever is wonderful in this translation belongs to Miller's craft and ear, and perhaps a bit to the whisky.

Check out this unintentionally hilarious youtube video of our Scotch du soir:

Youtube Review of Aberlour A'bunadh

So, on to Riddle #1: we may want to fuse what editors have called riddles 1-3 in due course, but for now this is the traditional #1 by itself:


Which hero is so hardy and so head-crafty
that can say who drives me on a journey,
when, strong, I ascend, sometimes savage,
powerful, roar, sometimes in revenge
5          fly through the world, fire the folk-halls,
            sack buildings?  Smoke swirls up,
            red/rusty over the roofs. There is a roar on the earth,
            butcher-death of men, when I beat the woods,
            groves blossom-blown, bring down trees,
10       (when), with water for my roof, I’m whipped on a journey,
            sent far and wide/far forth by strong forces;
            I have on my back what once hid bands
            of earth-dwellers, bodies and breath,
            together in water. Tell who covers me,
15       or what I’m called, who lifts this load.







No comments:

Post a Comment